Monday, November 7, 2011

NaBloPoMo Day 7: Fish Soup

Day 7! One whole week! I'm celebrating with a grande green tea latte, nonfat milk, no syrup. Not that I need a reason to celebrate to get that but anything helps on a Monday at 6:30 am!


When I take the bus home, I can take one of several routes, which is nice. Since I have to make one transfer whatever route I take, there are many permutations of lines I can take, although it kind of sucks that the later it gets, the farther in between are the buses. FYI, MTA, 7 pm is not really late for a commute home. Just ask the people stuck on the freeways.

Anyway, I've seen this Central American restaurant many times during my commute and have been wanting to try it. Finally, last Friday, as one late bus resulted in a missed connection, rather than wait in the cold for 20 minutes, I walked over to the restaurant. I was craving warm soup, so I ordered the Sopa de Mojarra (tilapia soup). It took longer than I hoped (i.e. had to take the next bus) but it was fine, I was in no rush. There were just a few families in the restaurant - maybe it gets busy later? But I noticed most had ordered the 7 Mares soup. Must try that next time.

They're also open at 6 am for breakfast, and those breakfasts, while meat-heavy, look awesome. Something to look forward to, for sure.

The soup came out with the fish and soup packed separately, with bags of lime and chopped onion and cilantro, and a side of pupusas. Oh, the wonderful smell. Good thing the bus ride home was less than 15 minutes.

I thought maybe $14.95 was kind of pricy but they gave me an entire fish, cut in threes. This made four meals for me, so actually the price is totally worth it. The taste? OK, admittedly it wasn't spectacular but I thought it was a very well-made dish, lots of aromatics in the soup, not too salty, great balance with the flaky fish and pungent onions and cilantro. Perfect after a cool night of bus commuting.

Places like this makes busriding so much more enjoyable than just getting from point A to point B.

El Baron de Centroamerica
4212 W. Pico Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90019
(323) 954-1384

No comments:

Post a Comment