Sunday, November 20, 2011

NaBloPoMo Day 20: North Beach Italian

Day 20! 2/3 done!

I realized that maybe I should have been tagging my posts so I can organize them later. That's been kind of helpful in my Japanese blog. Oh well.

A while ago, we went to this Italian restaurant in SF's North Beach district. Maybe it's because I don't go to the fancy places in Hollywood but it seems like there are better Italian restaurants in SF than in LA. I definitely feel like they're more accessible by ordinary folk like me, not super-trendy or rich people.


Anyway, this place was a bit off the main street in North Beach. We went kind of early for dinner so we got a prime seat by the window.


The interior is cozy, a very family-like feel.

We started with the eggplant parmigiano. Oh my gosh, so awesome. The cheese was browned perfectly, the tomato sauce and eggplant were wedded like a perfect couple.

For the pizza, we tried the prosciutto with fresh tomato, I believe. This was also so amazing. The crust was thin and crispy, like the pizzas we had in NY. I have to say, I've become kind of a pizza snob after our NY trip; the LA pizzas just don't compare. Anyway, I love how the saltiness of the prosciutto and the sweet/tartness of the tomato go so well, with the very airy cheese too.

But this dessert really blew me away. I forgot the name and it's not on the online menu but I'm pretty sure they have it all the time. The big ball in the middle of the cup is a dessert item on its own - I believe it was ice cream wrapped around some hazelnut crisp thing and rolled in cocoa. This itself was good but we ordered it affogato-style, in a cup of espresso. Oh man, the bitterness of the espresso was so perfect with the sweet vanilla ice cream and the tang of cocoa powder, too. The hot espresso and the cool ice cream was also a welcome treat.

I hope to get a chance to go back one day. The dessert alone is worth the trip!
Caffe Baonecci
516 Green Street
San Francisco, CA 94133
415.989.1806

No comments:

Post a Comment